Ages and ages ago my Dad and I made this trunk.
The idea was that I was going to paint it inspired by something I’d seen in a magazine, but I never got around to it.
Then late last year Farrow and Ball emailed me and asked if I fancied undertaking a project painting a piece of furniture and writing about how I did it. I love Farrow and Ball (almost the whole house is painted in it) and so of course I said yes please!
I found this image on Pinterest of a painted trunk, sent it to them and they sent me back their best guess on the colours needed.
And then nothing happened. Farrow and Ball sent me a couple of polite emails asking me how I was finding the paint, but I just didn’t knuckle down. And then suddenly I did.
I opened up the paints having completely forgotten the design I’d opted for….was surprised….dug out the image I was inspired by and got going.
I chalked a design a bit like the one from the photo on the side as a guide. I say a bit as the original image isn’t great quality so you can’t really make all of it out, plus I’m too slapdash to be totally faithful.
And then I got going. Probably a mistake but I started with the front.
Then the sides.
And finally the top and back.
And that’s it really. It’s not that neat, or symmetrical and I kind of approached it as a doodle, just adding bits as I went. However, I think the overall effect is good!
I was in San Francisco last year with work. While there I bought this beautiful kimono from a vintage shop. I think I imagined I’d waft about in it on Sunday mornings while drinking coffee and reading an intriguing novel. Needless to say I’ve never worn it.
However, I decided to make more of it and if I’m not going to wear it I should display it. Magazines always have some pretty dress hanging outside a wardrobe or draped across a chair so I decided to steal the idea.
The main bedroom has a major flaw. There’s just not enough storage.
It has an old brown wardrobe it in which seems massive but hardly fits anything in at all. It’s too narrow for most hangers to hang properly and so they have to go in at an angle. I can’t explain why it would be built that way, it remains a mystery to me. It also means that the bed and dressing table can only go in certain spots making it hard to find space for a chest of drawers without having furniture all lined up around the room.
There are two alcoves in the room which I intend to have fitted cupboards put into, but I decided as an interim fix to find a chest of drawers that could fit into them. And I found this fellow for around £40 on eBay (my usual haunt for inexpensive furniture).
It doesn’t look that exciting… .I think my mother described it as “a brown blob” or something along those lines.
I agreed but thought it had potential and I really liked the cupboard part at the top. I think it makes it quite versatile and something I could move to another room quite easily. It did need work though and I intended to paint it. I set about giving it an undercoat straight away. And then some months passed….
I came to a bit of a halt because I couldn’t decide what colour to paint it. Leaving all my stuff strewn around my room while the chest of drawers stood incomplete.
Then I saw this in a catalogue, John Lewis I think and took a snap on my iPhone.
I painted the exterior in Farrow and Ball Pigeon. This is a colour I have used elsewhere, particularly in the kitchen. If I did ultimately move this piece of furniture within the house that seems like it’s most likely new home. Plus I liked the idea of it matching the walls and not introducing another colour to the room.
The inside however I painted Farrow and Ball Rectory Red.
And I love it.