A while ago I inherited some chairs which I painted and very simply recovered. I write about it here. With general use and a specific disaster when I spilt stuff on them I decided they needed a change.
Here they are ‘before’. Slightly stained.
I found some fabric I liked in John Lewis called Deco Tulip.
And I was ready to get started.
This is by no means a proper professional bit of upholstery. I have (I confess) been on a short course where we were taught to lovingly rework furniture and this isn’t really the thorough approach they recommend, but it works.
First I just removed the old top layer.
And cut out roughly the right amount of fabric.
As I paint I’m lucky enough to have a staple gun I use for making canvasses, but I think you could just use small tacks in fact that is a bit more professional.
I then just pull the fabric tight, but not excessively so and staple it in place. A bit like wrapping a present.
Pop a bit of fabric on to cover the edges.
And you’re basically done.